martes, 9 de junio de 2009

“Design and the elastic mind”


On spring break 2008,I went on a trip to New York City with my host family and I met my brother there. He also went on vacation at the same time I did and at the same place I did. So, while we were taking a walk at the Central Park, he showed me some pictures he had taken at the Museum Of Modern Art. My brother is an architect, therefore he was all excited showing me by picture, all the great things he found there. One of those things was the 3D printer.
Basically, you draw something at a digital board with a 3D dimension, like a chair…and immediately the printer starts working with some rare kind of white plastic that is melted on the bottom of it. From that melted plastic it emerges a solid structure that is shaped with a specific laser -- it works by 'printing' successive layers on top of the previous to build up a three dimensional object In seconds. So you get a chair of real size made with plastic from a printer. Although I’m not sure you can actually sit on it, they wouldn’t allow it. You can print everything that’s on 3D dimension and digitalized. The weird thing is that is not something new at all, the first 3D printer was presented in 1990 at the Conference of National Computers Graphics Association but it was invented in 1987.
I was surprised by this because it was like a fiction dream, in 20 or 30 years we are probably going to have one of those in our house, and in 50 years we might have flying cars. This is my favorite piece of art! It is so high tech 


*for more information visit www.moma.org/elasticmind

6 comentarios:

  1. ohh nice so you like contemporary art... yeah it’s fine I like too but some times is difficult to understand it.

    cya :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. The piece is kind of strange, I'll triy to understand it, but is a great thing that you could visit NY, I would love to do it sometime ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I like the style of the piece, is good that the most part of us has posted some traditional style pieces, and your fav piece is very avant-garde, is like something new. In fact, art has a lot of ways, and strange doesn't means a bad thing, is sometething different that the rest of art styles.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. yeah you posted pieces of painting because you guys are so lame!
    and im not! :D haha
    love you rafaxoxo

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Very interesting! I didn’t know this existed.

    My brother is an architect;* therefore he was all excited showing me *the pictures of* all the great things he found there.

    ResponderEliminar